BOSTON – July 26, 2023 – For the fourth consecutive year, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (Blue Cross) has been named a ‘Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion,’ scoring 100% on the Disability Equality Index (DEI). The DEI is the world's most comprehensive benchmarking tool to measure disability workplace inclusion.
"Disability inclusion drives innovation and creates a better work environment for all,” said Steven Silva, vice president of talent acquisition and chief diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging officer at Blue Cross. “This recognition demonstrates our continued commitment to fostering a culture of inclusion and ensuring associates are supported.”
The DEI is a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD), the nation’s largest disability rights organization, and Disability:IN, the global business disability inclusion network, to collectively advance the inclusion of people with disabilities. Blue Cross was scored across several categories that evaluated efforts related to disability inclusion. The company received top marks in the following:
- Culture & Leadership for the company's disability-focused employee resource group and defined corporate goal of advancing corporate culture through a diversity and inclusion lens.
- Enterprise-wide Access for accessible buildings with features like automatic doors, automatic faucets in kitchens and bathrooms and adjustable desks; a centralized support center with trained staff and defined processes in place to handle support for employees and external customers, including requests for accessible formats; and emergency preparedness policies and procedures with specialized assistance for people with disabilities.
- Employment Practices for recruitment practices like partnerships with disability-focused government and non-government organizations; a presence at various disability conferences; flexible work arrangements; and inclusive benefits such as short- and long-term disability insurance, hearing and vision care coverage, paid caregiver leave, an employee assistance program and a wellness benefits program.
- Community Support for financial, pro bono, and in-kind support for organizations that directly and indirectly serve disabled populations; participation in the Massachusetts Attorney General's Disability Rights Advisory Committee; and making Braille ID cards available for members.
- Supplier Diversity for the company's commitment to a supplier diversity program requiring suppliers to provide proof of certification from various organizations that ensure race, ethnic, gender and ability diversity.
“Businesses have the power to drive the global advancement of disability inclusion, and we’re thrilled to see more companies than ever leverage the Disability Equality Index to measure their progress. We recognize these top-scoring companies as a ‘Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion’ for their passion and efforts to lead the way in creating greater equity for people with disabilities in the workplace, marketplace, and supply chain,” said Jill Houghton, president and CEO of Disability:IN.
About Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (http://www.bluecrossma.org) is a community-focused, tax-paying, not-for-profit health plan headquartered in Boston. We are committed to the relentless pursuit of quality, affordable and equitable health care with an unparalleled consumer experience. Consistent with our promise to always put our members first, we are rated among the nation's best health plans for member satisfaction and quality. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
About the Disability Equality Index (DEI)
The Disability Equality Index (DEI) is a comprehensive benchmarking tool that helps companies build a roadmap of measurable, tangible actions that they can take to achieve disability inclusion and equality. Each company receives a score, on a scale of zero (0) to 100, with those earning 80 and above recognized as a “Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion”.
The DEI is a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD), the nation’s largest disability rights organization, and Disability:IN, the global business disability inclusion network, to collectively advance the inclusion of people with disabilities. The organizations are complementary and bring unique strengths that make the project relevant and credible to corporations and the disability community. The tool was developed by the DEI Advisory Committee, a diverse group of business leaders, policy experts, and disability advocates. Learn more at: www.DisabilityEqualityIndex.org.