BOSTON, Aug. 13, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Starting a family is a pivotal time in one's life. To help with this important step, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts(Blue Cross) has compiled a list of resources for its pregnant and soon-to-be pregnant members through its online portal, Living Healthy Babies.
"Finding out you are expecting can be a time of both overwhelming joy, but also great anxiety," said Jane Williams, MD, MPH, Medical Director at Blue Cross. "We want to make sure all our pregnant and soon to be pregnant members have the tools they need to guide them throughout this this phase of their life."
- Have a pre-pregnancy exam, which can help you prepare for a healthy pregnancy.
- Eat healthy. Nutrition is a vital part of preparing for pregnancy. Factors such as a woman's weight compared with her height play an important role in a mother's health.
- Predict your cycle. When a person is attempting to have a baby, fertile times become an important factor.
Tips for soon to be parents
- Use our find a doctor system to get current information on health care professionals and facilities in the Blue Cross network and begin to track your baby's developments with Ovuline's maternity mobile application.
- Work with the health care provider you select to develop a safe exercise program.
- Watch this video, which discusses common body changes during pregnancy, including the first trimester, second trimester and third trimester.
- Know what to pack for the hospital.
- Register on Text4baby, a free mobile information service designed to promote maternal and child health.
- Get started shopping for your nursery and baby supplies. There are essential items you will need for your new baby. The Catalog for Safe Beginnings® has an extensive selection of child safety products and infant accessories.
- Find a pediatrician that can provide specialized care for your child.
- Learn about breast feeding and breast milk.
- Read about another member's pregnancy journey.
For more information about our resources, visit Living Healthy Babies.
About Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (www.bluecrossma.com) is a community-focused, tax-paying, not-for-profit health plan headquartered in Boston. We are the trusted health plan for more than 31,500 Massachusetts employers and are committed to working with others in a spirit of shared responsibility to make quality health care affordable. Consistent with our corporate promise to always put our 2.8 million members first, we are rated among the nation's best health plans for member satisfaction and quality. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn.
SOURCE Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts