BOSTON, MA – December 5, 2014 – The holidays are here and many will find themselves tempted to overeat, skip exercise, and become overwhelmed with party invitations and travel. In addition to getting a flu shot to stay healthy, it's important to maintain a healthy lifestyle and curb the stress that is sometimes associated with the holiday season.
"Focusing on your mental and physical health during the holidays will help you avoid overeating and becoming overwhelmed by stress," said Charles Inniss, wellness coach at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.
Inniss offers eight tips to keep you focused on your health goals and staying fit over the holidays:
- Think process over outcomes — Many people focus on the outcome of a healthy lifestyle—which can seem insurmountable—instead of focusing on the process it takes to get there. Honing in on how to reach your goals is key.
- Keep goals visible — Write down goals to help you focus on your targets. Post-it notes around your home and workplace will help remind you of what you're working towards.
- Have an accountability partner — When you're responsible for reporting your goals to someone, you're more likely to stay on track. Partner with a trusted friend or family member who knows what you're trying to achieve and check in with them periodically to let them know how you're doing.
- Workout your "no" muscle — Don't push yourself to always say yes to every event you're invited to over the holidays. You're more likely to be happier if you say "no" every once in a while to invites. The same goes for tempting food.
- Make activity social — Engaging with friends and family in a social setting will increase your level of happiness and improve your behavioral health.
- Think "all or some" versus "all or none" — Instead of trying to do the "perfect" amount of exercise, do what you can when you can. If you can't workout for an hour, do twenty minutes.
- Practice Gratitude — Wellness is more than weight. It's important to engage with family and friends by letting them know why you're thankful for them. It's a win-win for both parties.
- Serve — Anytime you get a chance to serve, it creates a way for you to connect with your community. Encourage your loved ones to come along and give back as well.
About Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (www.bluecrossma.com) is a community-focused, tax-paying, not-for-profit health plan headquartered in Boston. We are the trusted health plan for more than 31,500 Massachusetts employers and are committed to working with others in a spirit of shared responsibility to make quality health care affordable. Consistent with our corporate promise to always put our 2.8 million members first, we are rated among the nation's best health plans for member satisfaction and quality. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn.