BOSTON — January 13, 2012 — Some of the largest employers in Massachusetts are global companies whose far-reaching operations can be found in every corner of the globe.
In fact, among the top forty Massachusetts-based corporations, 80% report having international operations as part of their business. Those companies now have the option to provide their business travelers, and international employees, the exceptional protection offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.
Starting this month, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts becomes the first Massachusetts-based health insurer to offer its comprehensive health insurance coverage and services to members who travel or live overseas for their work. GeoBlue, a new insurance product made available to companies through a partnership with Highway to Health Worldwide, Inc., will provide an array of services that traditional, domestic health insurance plans usually do not offer outside of the U.S.
"GeoBlue will provide businesses and employees peace of mind, as well as a seamless international network of providers to meet whatever health needs arise during oversea travel and assignments," said Richard Greenhalgh, Vice President of the Diversified Business Group for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts. "Given the global nature of business these days, the need for total health solution like GeoBlue is clear."
Key highlights of GeoBlue include:
- A network of carefully selected hospitals and English-speaking doctors in nearly 200 countries, and a feature that will help schedule doctor visits with no out-of-pocket costs
- Outpatient care coordination, especially for members with chronic health conditions and special needs
- 24/7, multilingual concierge service that can help business travelers, and internationally-based employees navigate the health care system wherever they happen to be
- Online tools and mobile applications that will provide important health and safety information for countries around the world, and
- Access to emergency case management and evacuation, if necessary
GeoBlue products will be marketed and sold in Massachusetts through Indigo Insurance Services, LLC, a subsidiary of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts. To learn more about the GeoBlue plans, and the services it will offer business travelers and international employees, visit www.indigo-insurance.com.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (www.bluecrossma.com) is a community-focused, tax-paying, not-for-profit health plan headquartered in Boston. We are committed to working with others in a spirit of shared responsibility to make quality health care affordable. Consistent with our corporate promise to always put our 2.8 million members first, we are rated among the nation's best health plans for member satisfaction and quality.