BOSTON, March 13, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As Washington debates the future of the Affordable Care Act, the head of Massachusetts' largest health plan is stressing the need for continued innovation and strong collaboration in the Commonwealth. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts President & CEO, Andrew Dreyfus, offered his perspective as the company launched its 2016 Annual Report with a website that highlights some of the health plan's key initiatives.
In the report's introductory letter, Dreyfus says: "We enter 2017 financially and operationally strong, and our strategy continues to be firmly grounded in our Promise to always put our members first and our Vision of making quality health care affordable." He goes on to point out that Blue Cross helped forge a broad consensus around the 2006 Massachusetts health care reform law that provided a framework for the Affordable Care Act and adds: "Whatever happens in Washington we are committed to protecting the coverage gains we have made in Massachusetts… and we will be strong advocates for measures that will ensure stability and security for our customers and for all of the individuals and families who have benefited from having access to affordable health insurance."
The annual report's featured stories focus on examples of how Blue Cross works with employers, members, physicians, and hospitals to advance the quality and affordability of care and deliver a simpler, more personal member experience. Highlights include:
- A new, personalized member website and mobile app, along with industry-leading customer service, offer Blue Cross members an unprecedented level of simplified, personal, and responsive service.
- The benefits of Blue Cross' highly successful quality-based contract model, which rewards physicians and hospitals when they improve quality of care and outcomes while lowering costs, have been extended to members nationwide.
- Blue Cross is collaborating with employers to develop wellness programs that include the well-being of the whole person – physical, emotional, social, and financial.
- The company is preparing to accelerate the development of innovative products, services, and solutions based on members' wants and needs by introducing design thinking to the Blue Cross culture.
- Blue Cross is helping primary care physicians receive training in an innovative, evidence-based approach to improving communication between clinicians and seriously ill patients and their families.
The annual report also includes Blue Cross' Corporate Citizenship report, with stories and statistics highlighting the company's support for healthy eating, healthy, active lifestyles, and healthy environments through associate involvement and collaboration with community partners throughout the Commonwealth.
About Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (bluecrossma.com) is a community-focused, tax-paying, not–for–profit health plan headquartered in Boston. We're the trusted health plan for more than 25,000 Massachusetts employers and are committed to working with others in a spirit of shared responsibility to make quality health care affordable. Consistent with our corporate promise to always put our 2.8 million members first, we're rated among the nation's best health plans for member satisfaction and quality. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
SOURCE Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts